
I had planned a posting for Veteran's Day and then noticed my sister, Marianne, had placed most of the same pictures I had put aside. I'd like to thank her for that. I started searching for other photos and it turned into a project with Mom bringing me about 100 photos that I've just finished scanning into my files.
Daddy didn't like to talk about the war much. He was asked once in my presence if he'd been in any combat. He was. I've seen awards for his shooting skills and the practice book where he passed off all his marksmanship qualifications in less than a page for each skill. He really wanted to forget that part of his life. He shared with me the people he knew. Even two years before he died he could name all the men in the pictures he had of them. He was even threatened with demotion by General MacArthur once for not allowing the General's plane to land before a plane carrying much needed supplies that was on final approach.
He arrived in Africa by way of South America. He was in Kenya, Ethiopia, Nigeria, Iraq, Burma, India and China. He saw many places and things that people pay thousands of dollars to see. He saw them because he believed in good over evil and that the right should prevail. Never did he say he resented having to go. He only ever said he worried he'd never see Mom or Sharon again.
We have many members of our family who have served in the military. I'm grateful for each of them. Thank you.
P.S. Daddy is in the photo above on the far left with his chin in his hand. He's in Kano, Nigeria and he's the only one in the bunch not "soused." They were celebrating VE Day, May 8, 1945.
5 comments:
Thank you for that post. I don't know much about Grandpa and his serivce and it's nice to hear little tidbits!
Dear Gena,
We really need to get together on these things! I'm sorry I used your photos but honestly, you could have used them and I wouldn't have minded. It was a great thing though because now all of those photos are scanned and I can't wait to see them again! I haven't seen the one above for decades?!!
VE Day! What a great relief that must have been! (understatement!)
BUt these guys were in China and still had to trudge on. Soused or not, I love them all!
...oops! I meant to say Nigeria! He got to China later!
Thanks you guys It was really good to read about things about grandpa that we did not know.
Thanks so much for sharing
Thanks for sharing this with us. I've heard things I've never heard about him and the war this last week. I had know idea he was in all those places. I knew he served in the war but honestly I never recall him talking about it at all.
Thanks for sharing.
Love ya,
JoLynn
P.S. We can't wait to Grandma in a few days!!!
Post a Comment