Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Don't Wish Your Life Away

In our RS lesson on Sunday our teacher shared that her Mother always said, of life, "Why wish it was Friday? Don't wish your life away!"

I used to wish when my children were little that they were older. Got my wish. I don't miss homework, school projects, teen drama and early morning seminary. But I do miss my babies, sweet little hugs and kisses, easy Christmas shopping, Easter dresses, Junk Food Friday nights, road trips singing to The Beatles, everyone agreeing on what video to watch and having them think I was the smartest, wisest person in the world (although I am and they're beginning to realize it again).

I used to wish I would be older and have more time on my hands. Older. Don't mind it. I kind of really like it, but still don't have that time. According to my 88 year old mother I will never find that time. Oh, well, at least I won't have to wish for it anymore! Win!

I used to wish life would be easier. Can't lie, I still wish this. I guess we're never done learning and growing, even when it's annoying and painful. The bumps in the road give me a clarity on my real blessings that I wouldn't have without them. Even with the cracked and sinking cement slab in the garage I must remind myself I still have a home (an older one that needs a lot of work, but...).

I used to wish church meetings would go by faster. Okay, still wish this one too. I sat through two mind numbing travel log testimonies on Sunday, each taking 10-15 minutes. At the end of the meeting a sweet little girl and her Grandfather got up. She gave 3 sentences expressing gratitude for her family. He stated simply his love for the Savior, the love of our Father in Heaven and his blessings without telling long stories. Brother Brown, you made sitting through that meeting worth every minute.

Resolution made. Not wishing life away. Well, maybe during certain teaching assignments? Please?

3 comments:

URFAVE 5+A Few said...

I can't tell you how many times when our kids were little I wished them to get a little older. I would always tell myself that if they were older it would be easier. Ha-Boy was I SO not smart!!! Well that's not completely true-in some aspects they are easier. They are physically easier but emotionally they are for sure harder! The point behind all of this is-that I wish I wouldn't have been wishing their little lives away and enjoyed them A WHOLE LOT more! Soon they'll all be gone and grown and I will be SO SAD. SO I no longer wish their lives away ANYMORE!!! I savor every minute, well except for the hard ones:)

Love Ya,
JoLynn

Denise said...

It just doesn't seem that long ago that we were scrapbooking the afternoon away with the kids playing in the backyard of your house in the Glens. *sigh* It is a good reminder, though, not to wish our lives away. A very good reminder.

Ellsworth Party of Four said...

I am one who wishes her life away...I ALWAYS wish it was Friday...I always wish I was somewhere else doing something better. But seeing how i am stuck in an office for 8 hours everyday that seems to be an ok thing to wish for...honestly what good am I really doing here sitting in this uncomfortable chair answering 432 e-mails and diverting 606 phone calls?? Its Friday and I am still wishing it was something different!
Love you!