
Sixty seven years ago today George and Helen Ellsworth were married in the
They met when a mutual friend told a recently-returned-missionary George that there was this cute girl working at Johnson's Drive-In that George had to meet. The cute car hop in her white satin capri pants came to see what they wanted. George appreciated the view as young Helen bounced off to fill their order. When she came back she was flustered and spilled the entire tray of Root Beer and Hamburgers in George's lap. George went home, changed his clothes and quickly returned to the Drive-In. He went home that night and told his younger brother, Joe, "I've met the girl I'm going to marry."
After dating a short time George bought Helen a beautiful cedar chest for her birthday. She was the only woman he had ever kissed. One evening he looked into her eyes and said, "I'd like you to be the mother of my children."
They stood under a grapefruit tree during their reception at Frank and Annie Ellsworth's home, Helen's new in laws. As they left their reception at her new in-laws home they ran through the citrus orchard and Helen got a tear in her veil. She never repaired it. Just a few years ago Helen was in 
Helen and George lived through World War II. They had seven children, losing two at birth. Their family, children, grandchildren, great grandchildren and great-great grandchildren, numbers more than 140.
Daddy passed away from us on January 26, 2003 but today is his 67th wedding anniversary. The greatest thing he ever did for me was to love my Mother.
6 comments:
Happy Anniversary to my Grandparents! Theirs is truly a love story for the ages!
Thanks so much Georgena! This made me cry. I am indeed miserable today and this gave me the lift I needed. I have thought about this anniversary off and on for awhile now. How is Mom doing? I know she misses Dad so much. Give her a big hug and kiss for me!
Love you!
Oh this was such a beautiful post. It made me cry! I really enjoyed reading that some of it I had never heard before. I'm so glad that you shared it.
Thank you so much for your sweet comment on our blog. You made me cry! Maybe I'm just a big cry baby. Well actually I know I am! I cry all the time. Anyway, you really touched me thank you so much! You are such a sweet aunt and example to me!
We love you so much!
JoLynn
Thank you Gena, for remembering. The citrus orchard was on the other side of the yard, where the apartments are now standing. The first date I had with your Dad was a Sunday afternoon just to go for a ride with Elwin and Hazel Pugh. He was part of Dad's "gang". Our first stop was at Mom and Dad Ellsworth's home to meet his family. It was a litle scary but I fell in love with them on the spot. We sat under this same grapefruit tree and he peeled a grapefruit for me, even took the skin off the sections. It was really good. I had never tasted grapefruit before. Had never even seen one. To this day, in the summer, I crave grapefruit peeled. You should try it, it is really delicious and refreshing when it is hot. And it is hot in Arizona in the summer time.
I love you lots Mom
Thaat was beautiful made me cry too.
Happy Anniversary Grandma and Grandpa.
June is a good month for Anniversarys
Post a Comment