Monday, July 13, 2009

In The Service of Fellow Beings



I take the term "fellow beings" quite literally at times. Charlie received this stuffed squeaky lobster his first Christmas with us a year and a half ago, in honor of Charlie's "brother" serving his mission on the Maine coast. It has been featured, battered and unstuffed, in a previous post. It's one of Charlie's favorites! The poor toy needed major medical attention yet again. This last procedure occurred Sunday afternoon. Donor organs, sutures, scalpel (well, scissors) were all at the ready.



Concern riddled Charlie's countenance until the operation was successfully completed. He was pleased to have his toy back and I was happy, for a while, to hear the incessant squeaking of the lobster.

On a sweeter note, I overheard Mother and Husband talking about Pineapple Upside Down Cake and how long it had been since they'd had said dessert. Seeing the can of pineapple rings in my pantry I couldn't resist. The pineapple and pecans were easy to part with but I have a serious relationship with maraschino cherries. For the greater good of the family I parted with a dozen of them. All involved have expressed gratitude for the sacrifice. It felt so nice to make them happy I didn't mind the loss of the cherries (which are to die for in Diet Pepsi and Diet Dr. Pepper on a hot summer's day...).


8 comments:

URFAVE 5+A Few said...

Brilynn and I got a good little laugh at Charlie's face looking at his toy. Man him and Minnie look alike! You can tell their siblings that's for sure!

Your cake looks divine! Brilynn and I are both drooling over it! I hope you guys enjoyed it!

Love and Miss You ALL,

JoLynn

Diana said...

How sweet Charlie is! You are a good momma. I have a serious relationship with maraschino's as well... though it has not gotten to the move-in-together stage yet, waiting for another pay raise! :) It was a noble sacrifice!

Edwin & Tamara said...

So glad you where able to fix poor little charlie's toy lobster. How those dogs love there toys :) and that pineapple upsidedown cake looks so YUMMY, and yep on all those diet drinks yum yum.


No havent had any trouble with weird people on my blogg. Just a fam member on my side, Just trying to stay low and quit for awhile.
Love ya

Marianne said...

Looks like we are all online this morning! Oh! That cake! Will you com to my house please!!!!
I love that picture of Charlie waiting so anxiously for his pal to be fixed! How can you help but fall in love with the little guy? Sam's lobster, unfortunately, has been loved beyond repair! He just drags the claws around!

Marianne said...

P.S. I forgot! You and your cherry obsessions used to make me ill! I never understood how you could eat those things right out of the bottle, but then I never got blamed when they disappeared out of Mom's cupboard either!

Denise said...

I LOVE maraschino cherries, too, and have since I was a little girl! One time I remember one of my mother's friends bringing me my very own jar to have to myself after I'd had a dental procedure done. That cake looks SO good. I would like a piece NOW, please!

"Concern riddled Charlie's contenance," cracks me up, as it is such an accurate caption for that darling photo. Who knew you and I would become dog freaks? I love mine with all my heart, but confess I'm not sure how many times I could make myself mend a toy. Now that's love!

Ellsworth Party of Four said...

UMMMM...YUMMMMMMM!!!!

Anonymous said...

Love Charlie's face and I'm sure he's thankful for your surgical skills, you're a good "mom". Now let's get to the important stuff...the cake...Fabulous!!
I know I'm going to find myself thinking about it all day today. I love maraschino cherries too, right out of the bottle, but even better are the fresh ones, bought 5 lbs. at Costco this week and they're almost gone. I'm glad to hear that Michael is liking his job OK. I talked to Kaci about him yesterday and apparently they work opposite shifts and opposite places in the store...she's in the back and is usually off by noon, he works up front and works later in the day. But she has seen him a time or two and I think they've spoken once. Raleigh works in a completely different store and city so I don't think their paths will cross anytime soon.